Support for thinking about HOW to design instruction and teach for understanding.
How do you do it? (short version)
1. Form group (3-4 people) to focus on one discipline together.
2. Select an introductory topic familiar to all.
3. Brainstorm: What would it mean to understand this topic?
4. Sort ideas into dimensions of understanding.
5. Reflect: How might a dimensions analysis help you in your work?
We’ve used this exercise in large groups and in small teams. It is a great way to begin a collaboration because it surfaces what matters to all the people sitting at the table...
Dimensions of Understanding